Initially got a requirement heading a simple word called Pega Developer. Thought the four letter word PEGA professionals are easy to hunt until seeing all the buzz words like Pega PRPC, Openspan, RPA, BPM tools, Pega Works etc... To add spice to my confusions, was dragged with two different Job Descriptions.
JD 1 :
- Lead Pega Robotics (legacy OpenSpan) Automation Sub-Practice with the goal of preparing consultants to guide clients through the design and implementation of automation solutions using Pega Robotics software
- Set-up development infrastructure to support process automation across multiple clients and numerous lines of business
- Identify and manage resource needs across Pega Robotics Sub-Practice
- Contribute to the development of governance, methodologies and procedures to continually improve a rapid and repeatable delivery channel for Pega Robotics Sub-Practice and Automaton Delivery Team
- Client-facing role responsible for implementing full life cycle Pega Robotics solutions
- Serve as Pega Robotics SME for client deliverables, tool selection presentations, training of resources
- Leveraging industry best practices and experience, identify automation opportunities and recommend automation solutions including architectural and technical designs
- Drive strategic and tactical roll-out of solutions to clients
- Take business requirements, current and future state process designs and translate them into process flows and Visual Business Objects within Pega Robotics Automation Studio
- Develop integration components via Brokers, Translators, Adapters, Drivers and Connectors
- Configure business logic within code-stages in languages within the. NET family (C#/J#/VB)
- Coordinate activities within clients IT / Automation COE / business environments to develop, test and deploy RPA solutions
SUMMARY ON JD 1 :
The above JD describes that it is looking for candidates who is good at Pega RPA ( Openspan )tool and also who is strong in .Net Framework (C#/J#/VB)
SUMMARY ON JD 2 :
Experience developing PEGA Case Management work flows.
Experience with Design and Develop Flows, Flow-actions, Data Pages, Activities and SLAs
Familiarity with Agile Development Methodology, especially Scrum.
Certified PEGA V7. x CSSA or above.
Hands on experience in using PRPC performance tools: Tracer, Profiler, PAL and PLA.
At least 2+ years of experience developing Pega workflows or other BPM software
At least 3+ year of programming and software development life cycles (Waterfall, Agile, Scrum)
Knowledge of relational databases (SQL Server, PLSQL structure and development), Knowledge of relational database design concepts, Oracle DB.
SUMMARY ON JD 2 :
The above JD 2 is looking for candidates who are strong with Pega PRPC, Work Flows, BPM and (SQL, PLSQL, Oracle) and SDC process
But here comes my list queries when I see the booming technical PEGA
- What is PEGA ?
- Is PEGA a tool / programming language / framework ?
- What is RPA ?
- Is PEGA a RPA process or RPA tool ?
- What is Openspan ?
- What is PEGA PRPC ?
- What is PEGA RPA ?
- Pega acquired Openspan or vice versa?
- Is PEGA RPA and Openspan are same or different ?
- Is PEGA RPA and PEGA PRPC are same or different ?
- All these are buzz words are related to Automation or not ?
To get rid of all puzzlement, I believed that I should perform a technical study to hunt a better resource
The following are the few information gathered for better understanding
Robotic process automation (RPA) is the use of software with artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning capabilities to handle high-volume, repeatable tasks that previously required humans to perform. The Difference between Robotic Process Automation and Artificial Intelligence is RPA is a software robot that mimics human actions, whereas AI is the simulation of human intelligence by machines.
Some of the RPA Tools include Openspan, UiPath, Automation Anywhere, Blueprism etc…
PEGA - Programs in Extra-Galactic Astronomy
PEGA is a software development tool for CRM and BPM Applications. Pega tool is practiced to automate all the process without any coding. Pega allows organizations to deploy changes eight times faster than Java based applications.
PEGA PRPC :
PRPC (PegaRULES Process Commander) is a software product created, licensed, and marketed by Pegasystems Inc (PEGA). PRPC is the core component of Pegasystems's "SmartBPM" suit of BPM (Business Process Management) solutions. Pega’s latest version is 8.2
PEGA RPA (OpenSpan) :
Pega started out as an enterprise for CRM and BPM initially. Later a few years ago, they purchased OpenSpan (in 2016) to incorporate RPA and now known as PEGA RPA
Hence Pega PRPC is different from Pega RPA as Pega RPA has an advanced way of Automation techniques to increase the efficiency and velocity. Pega RPA also requires a knowledge of .Net Framework as OpenSpan is developed using it
So the hunting should be in such a way that it meets both the JD’s.
Therefore the sourcing can be done towards PEGA RPA as the candidate will be strong in Automation, Database and also .Net Framework with knowledge of Pega PRPC. But Pega PRPC candidate might not be very comfortable as he will be strong only in Automation and Database with a less knowledge of RPA.